Tuesday, January 31, 2012

MTC week 3

Czesc moj rodzina!
Hello!!! Life is so good here in the MTC. I'm learning a ton. Not only how to teach the gospel but how to teach in unity. Our companionship is getting better each time.
We had this awesome speaker Elder Clayton Christensen from the Seventy. (I wrote about him before with the rotten fridge.) He is AMAZING. I learned so much about teaching and how it's so much more effective to show investigators/inactive members what the gospel is rather than just telling them. So with one man investigating the church he taught him about prayer (which A LOT of people don't understand very well). And instead of telling him ok we pray by 1, addressing our Heavenly Father, 2, thanking Him 3 asking and 4 ending in the name of Jesus Christ he said ok we're going to pray. Then tell us what you notice. So they prayed. Then talked. Then prayed again. And did it again. So he wasn't being 'taught at' but he was using his own mind to see how prayer works. Very cool.
So this week with our new investigator Dominik we decided to try that. He didn't know how to pray and he really dislikes the memorized Catholic way of praying. He said he liked the way we prayed. So we talked about our relationship with God (being our Father in Heaven) and then said ok we're going to pray. Please tell us what you notice and why you think we pray in this way. It's kind of hard because we had to guess what his answers were but I think he noticed good things. Then at the end of the lesson, he prayed with us and it was really great. He asks so many good questions about faith and repentance. It's great teaching him :) He's studying how to mend clothes...we think. Couldn't really understand that part but he pointed to a hole in his jacket and said "studiowac" so hopefully that was it.
But as for our OTHER investigator Wojtek...that is a whole different story. He was super stubborn at first and kept asking, "ok the Book of Mormon is true, SO WHAT?" basically what does it mean for him? why should he stop being Catholic? It was hard to answer with limited polish. Basically he was being so intellectual about it....grrr. Anyway luckily the next lesson he was a lot more open! We told him about Joseph Smith and I think it really helped him see things clearer. Hopefully he will be even more openhearted next time :)
So today is the 50th anniversary of the MTC!!! How exciting is that? We're going to sing in the choir today and that should be fun. Rumor has it that one of the First Presidency is coming but who knows. We'll see.
I hope this email uplifted you in some way. If not, there is always Mosiah 2-3! I love those chapters. I've been reading them in Polish to practice my pronunciation and it's really cool. The scriptures are so powerful.
Also, thank you for your dear elders! I enjoyed them a lot. Probably too much...my comps were like sister bezdjian why are you laughing so much? But what can I say, my family's funny! How is work and how is school? Oh man. Two minutes left! I swear there are no clocks here...probably so we don't keep looking at them. Except there ARE some in the cafeteria...where the time goes by way too fast! Haha. Oh yeah, other thing. On Sunday I was asked to serve as Coordinating Sister for our Zone! Yikes eh. Bascially I am the service lady now...oh boy.
Love,
Sara
p.s. I had another speaker to tell you about but I will write it in my letter because I have no time! Also, did you get the pictures?

1 comment:

  1. It is great reading about you and all the things that you are doing and your testimony is getting stronger and stronger. I am so proud of having you as my Niece and just seeing how fast you have grown up and matured. I just love your letters I'm learning so much from you, and my spirit is being uplifted by your message. I had Mediteranian food with my Relief Society Visiting Teacher and her Daughter in law we had a great time, she is such a wonderful person. Take care and I love you, kisses.

    ReplyDelete