Monday, January 14, 2013

January 14, 2013 - Poznan



Dear Family,

Thank you for the package and the many letters mom! You seriously are THE BEST and those letters just keep me pumped for the rest of the week. Thank you for keeping Sister Bown and me in your prayers. I love you all.

President Nielson and Sister Nielson came to Poznan this weekend! It is always a pleasure to see them. They bought us dinner at the Siox restaurant in the rynek. But before the dinner we had a meeting with this really REALLY cute family! So the elders left and we came late and had to snarf it all down so unladly-like. Then Sister Nielson came with us to our meeting with Jola and Regina! It was a lot of fun and you can probably see some pictures on Sister Nielson's blog. We read 2 Nephi 9 and talked about the Plan of Salvation. Really great meeting.

That was Saturday so the next day President Nielson spoke in sacrament meeting. I really liked his thoughts. Our members love him and Sister Nielson. He talked about people who had heart transplants. He began by telling us about when the first heart transplant was successfully performed. And he told us that those people who had the transplants were supposed to go to the doctor every so often for check ups to make sure everything was going well. Well a few of these people started feeling good. They became casual about the miracle that they had a new heart. They started saying to themselves, well I feel great. I don't need to go to the doctor. And of course, because they didn't have those regular checkups, some of those people died. Which is so sad because it was completely avoidable. President Nielson then compared that to sacrament meeting, daily prayer, and daily scripture study. We all experience the change of heart talked about in the Book of Mormon (Alma 5) but we need to maintain good spiritual health by coming to see the Great Doctor often and regularly. Many people think they are doing great and don't need those daily but neccessary things and the results are spiritual sickness. 

I really liked President's talk and I hope we can all ask ourselves, are we taking our medicine? Are we visiting the doctor regularly? Do we really appreciate the miracle of the new heart the Lord has given us?
Sister Bown is doing great! She is such a quick learner. And she is so eager to learn more. I really like her receptiveness--that is very admirable. I want to be as teachable as she is. She is also a very calm person. I like that about her. I am usually freaking out about something or other but she handles things very calmly and even if she freaks out, she doesn't show it. She picks up on habits very quickly and this week we had some decisions to make and she often suggested one route which turned out to be much wiser in the long run. Foresight. That's what she has. Sister Bown is great.

Our Christ-like attribute for this week is: Faith. Diligence was really great to work on and I think these two attributes are very related. I think faith feeds one's diligence and when I study faith this week, I want to see how I can inspire others to increase their faith in Jesus Christ. One of our investigators would like to increase his faith but it is our job to show him how and help him have spiritual experiences on his own.

Something I learned from the scriptures this week: According to the mission schedule we all finished 2 Nephi 4 today. I think in these last few chapters, my admiration for Nephi has grown. He really is so faithful and desires to be righteous. I like how he is never complacent with how good he is; instead, he seeks to be more merciful like the Lord has always been to him and to all mankind.

Other things from this week:

* Bogusia's birthday was last monday so we had a little "party" with her. We ate cake and talked about the stripling warriors and obedience. She is still in bed and at home a lot because of her broken bones but I think she is doing well. Reading everyday and praying and she wants to come to church next week.

*Romana, our baptismal date is just making leaps and bounds. She met president nielson at church and is giving us referrals almost daily! I love this woman. She just needs to read more on her own--she likes reading with us too much :)

*We started doing a service project thing weekly at an old folk's home near our apartment. It is so much fun. We get to talk about YOU and our lives and they already love us. They want to know everything about our families and daily lives. So I told them the story about Dad's ancestor in Turkey who had the dream about the missionaries. By the way, they all think you're handsome Dad. And everyone thinks Mom is another sister. "young mom!" they all exclaim. 

*Welp. The year mark has come and gone. I have learned and will continue to learn a lot on the mission. I think the most important things I have learned are: to be humble and grateful in all things, and believe in miracles because they happened! Our prayers really are heard and answered by our loving Father in Heaven. 

 *One of our families is doing so great! We read the book of mormon together this week with the Reeds and it was a really nice discussion. They were in church as well and I just feel so good about them! I love these families. 
 
Thank you for all you do and for who you are.
Sister Bezdjian

Please tell Peggy thanks for the christmas card. I really liked it. 

please also tell aunt shell and cole I got their package and I am so thankful for the whoppers! everyone snacked on them in church. It was fun to share with everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment