Monday, November 12, 2012

Poznan...freezing but amazing




Thank you for your prayers and emails! I can't tell you all how much your emails brighten my week. I love hearing from you. Well some of you know but my previous companion, Sister Ostler is home now. She was still sick when I saw her at Zone Conference (WED NOV 7TH)
The Bydgoszca zone includes missionaries from the cities of Szczencin, Bydgoszcz, Gdansk, and Poznan.  the zone conference was held in Poznan. Below is the sisters from the Zone.

and so she flew on Saturday I think and is now home in Utah recooperating. Thank you all for your prayers for Sister Ostler so much. I know it must have been hard for her to go home but I am glad that she can trust in the Lord and His timing. I am also grateful to Sister Nielson for keeping such an updated, informative blog. thanks for sending those pictures from it mom. 
Sister Ostler, who is departing for medical reasons, leaves a part of one of her favorite sweaters.  She will visit with Doctors and will hopefully return soon.  She has had stomach problems for a couple of months and the hospital, doctors and tests were not solving the problems.  We are so grateful for all she did and pray for a speedy recovery and return.  

We are looking forward to hearing from Sister Ostler and her better health. 
She was (is) a great missionary!  FROM SIS NIELSON'S BLOG

SIS OSTLER IS A DEDICATED MISSIONARY WHO FOR 3 MONTHS PRIOR TO HER MISSION STUDIED THE POLISH LANGUAGE WITH THE HELP OF A RETURNED SISTER MISSIONARY.   WE KNOW GOD'S PLAN HAD SIS OSTLER SERVING IN GDANSK TO MEET AND INTERACT WITH AGNIESZKA AND TO SEE THIS WONDERFUL WOMAN AND HER FAMILY COME UNTO CHRIST.  WE DON'T UNDERSTAND ALL OF GOD'S PLANS FOR SIS. SHELBY OSTLER BUT WE APPRECIATE HER EXAMPLE OF  TRUSTING IN THE LORD.  HER FAITH IS VERY STRONG.  WE LOVE SHELBY AND ARE PRAYING FOR PEACE AND COMFORT AS SHE TRANSITIONS BACK TO AMERICAN LIVING AND FOR INSIGHT FOR THE DOCTORS HERE. 
Sister Allen is amazing! We are having so much fun together. I am getting to know her better and better and our teaching is improving. She is never afraid to talk to anyone and is always willing to listen to the Spirit. I admire her desire to be exactly obedient. Later this week we were walking home and usually we have dinner before 6 so we can use our "prime proselyting time" wisely but our investigators could only meet earlier so we ended up having 8-9 as our dinner hour. We were walking home from the tramwaj stop and our street to turn came up. But I just kinda had this feeling we should keep walking. Then Sister Allen turns to me and says, 'hey I feel like we should keep going.' So I was just like yep. me too. let's do it. 
So we kept walking and right after that we see this guy sitting outside an apt smoking with a girl. Sister Allen and I walked right up to them and we just knew it was with them were supposed to talk with. So we start talking and it turned out to be amazing! The girl took a book of mormon and we are going to set up later this week. So we had less than an hour for dinner that night but we just felt so good when we walked home knowing that we had followed the Spirit. 

Something I learned from the scriptures this week: Well since President talked about Captain Moroni in Zone Conference I decided to study him a bit more and his characteristics. So this week I broke down the sentences that describe him and I'm going to search those different attributes and how to get them. This week was "his heart did swell with thanksgiving to his God." So I looked up Heart, Swell, and Thanksgiving in the index of the Book of Mormon. I found a lot of really cool things and I love comparing Alma the younger's description of swelling of the word with the humbling of their hearts of the people of Alma the elder. I can't type all that I'm learning but it was very enlightening and I'm excited to study more.
 
Our Christ-like attribute for this week is: gratitude. We thought that would be appropriate considering Thanksgiving and all. I read about gratitude this week with Moroni and I'm excited to impliment it more. Sister Allen is amazing because on Thursdays we only pray for that which we are grateful for. Sometimes we forget in lessons with investigators but it is still really good to try to remember.

Other fun things from this week:
* We had a Joseph Smith party with the girls in our neighborhood (by the chapel) and Natalie, our cool member. We ate popcorn and watched the Restoration. It was awesome. And this next week I think we'll watch Finding Happiness. Their older brother is also very interested and really cool. 

* Bogusia our investigator was so EXCITED to learn about baptisms for the dead this week. When we read 1 Corin. 15 with her about baptisms for the dead she said "Jestem w szoku." I am in shock. But in a good way. She's so excited to learn more! 

* This sunday we had a lunch after church for day of independence for Poland! It was so yummy and definitely worth the crazy cooking sister allen and I did the morning of. And carrying huge bags of potatoes, a carrot cake, and the sacrament bread to church. It was all a good conversation starter on the way there though.
Sacrament meeting talks were based on the topics of freedom and gratitude, and the words spoken gave us all spiritual food for thought and reminded us what a precious gift freedom is to all of us. The Branch had an obiad for members and visitors to celebrate this wonderful day with everyone bringing their favorite Polish food – and was it ever good! The special treat of the day was rogaly, which is made only in Poznan. It is a pastry which is rolled out, a filing is spread over it, then it is rolled up and shaped into big crescent rolls with frosting on top. This is the traditional dessert for Independence Day. They are absolutely delicious! FROM THE REEDS BLOG
 

NATIONAL POLISH INDEPENDENCE DAY FEAST WITH THE BRANCH AFTER SACRAMENT MEETING.


* Life is just great! I am loving learning different ways of doing things and being inspired in different ways. 
Thank you for all you do and for who you are.
Sister Bezdjian

p.s. Thought of a competition for you all...I have yet to get a letter in Poznan. Whoever sends me one first, WINS!!! So go! Start typing or stamping or licking those envelopes ;)

SIOSTRA SARA BEZDJIAN
Stowianska 38 F M.10
61-664 Poznan, Poland

p.p.s. there is an activity in preach my gospel to stop a bad habit (eating too much, sleeping too late, adjusting glasses etc.) to kind of learn compassion for those who are trying to quit very addictive substances. I'm trying to stop cracking my knuckles and it is so hard! wish me luck guys. 


p.p.p.s. I LOVE YOU RAFFIE, LINDY, HANNAH AND ANDREW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE SISTERS HELPING OUT WITH THE ENGLISH CLASS FOR CHILDREN ORGANIZED BY THE SENIOR MISSIONARY COUPLE THE REEDS.

No comments:

Post a Comment